Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Great Weight Watchers Experiment

So, after writing last week about how I don't need a fancy weight loss program, I went ahead and joined Weight Watchers this week. Perhaps I was wrong about being able to make healthy choices; self control is not a strength I posses.

You should know that I am no stranger to Weight Watchers. It ranks not just among the diets I have tried in the past, but among the diets I have tried MULTIPLE times. The first time was the best - I went with a friend, and she totally kept me accountable. We did it over the summer (I was teaching full time at the time), paid for the entire summer in advance (so we had no excuses), and it was a mild success. I didn't lose a LOT of weight - just under 10 pounds for the summer - but it was nice to go back to school in the fall with pants that fit. I didn't keep it up. It was too hard to count points while I was working, and getting to a meeting after a full day at school was just not happening. I attempted on my own for awhile but I couldn't do it. So I went back, though to a different meeting. I don't know why - I just didn't think it was right to go back without my friend to the first one. And I did it more than a few times. Every time I would see one of those "no registration fees" ads, I would give it another go. Three or four times with meetings, another couple of times doing the online program. The program worked, but I just couldn't stick with it. I don't know why.

So why would I plunk down money to try it again? I honestly can't even tell you. I think that I thought that spending the money would hold me accountable. I hate to spend money - I am not one of those girls who thrives on shopping. I love a good bargain, and I am very careful to not spend money on "extras." If I spent the money on Weight Watchers, I would have no choice but to follow the plan. Right? I had also heard good things about the new program. One of the things I liked about the old program was that you basically ate healthy food in moderation, and you could work the occasional Starbucks or ice cream cone in. The new program supposedly uses all the new science about weight loss, and, as many are excited for, features zero point fruit. That's right, if you want a banana, you can have a banana. Good enough. I need to lose weight, and perhaps this will hold me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment