Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cauliflower vs. Potatoes

So, I'm sure you have heard it too - you can cut down on calories and carbs by making mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. The so-called "experts" claim that they taste the same. And every weight loss/healthy eating site has their own version. So, I figured I would make them. Who am I to argue with the experts, right?

I now seriously question the taste buds and abilities of these "experts". I followed a recipe with about 100 comments about how great they were and how thankful the posters were for the amazing recipe. I steamed the cauliflower with garlic. I doctored them up with real butter instead of that spray-stuff (yuck) and even put real bacon bits on top. What did I get? A bowl of mashed cauliflower. If you think they taste like potatoes, you have never tasted potatoes. Don't get me wrong - I like cauliflower, and I would have been happy to eat the steamed-with-garlic cauliflower on it's own. But mashed? It was like I was insulting the entire state of Idaho.

The clear upside? My daughter napped for 3 full hours after we ate them for lunch. I think she was concerned that if she woke up too early I might try to feed them to her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment